Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Emily and Her Best Friend

Emily has really taken notice to all of the dogs and she loves watching them. They are her puppies. She giggles at everything they do and they all LOVE helping clean her up after eating or spitting up. Emily's puppies are Daisy, miniature pinscher, 8 years old; Molly, lab mix, 5 years old, and Killannie, greyhound, 5 years old.

Killannie was adopted from Quad Cities Greyhound Adoption, which we are members of. I can't remember her racing name but through old records on the National Greyhound website, we found that Killannie was a distant relative of our precious Marsha who died a year ago of bone cancer. That was one of the many reasons we decided to adopt Killannie. I wasn't too thrilled with the spelling of her name, but I figured there must be a reason for it. In doing some research, I found that the spelling "Kalani" means Heaven in Hawaiian. I loved this as she is our little bit of Heaven. Kevin only liked it. He didn't want to change the spelling of her name and now calls her "Killer Killannie", though we pronounce it "Kalani".

Killannie is a little skittish around everyone. She's skittish around us and around new people; skittish around the cat and skittish around her shadow. If we raise our voice even a little she runs and hides. It is sometimes an inconvenience but we've tried to be patient with her because we love her.

In setting up this picture, I was trying not to be nervous as animals can tell when you're nervous. Here I was putting my four month old down next to a dog that might jump up and run away at any second. And I was going to get a picture of it.

Killannie was so relaxed with Emily leaning on her. It was a beautiful sight.
BFFA

No comments:

Post a Comment